Ground breaking for our first building was held on April 14, 1954. The succeeding eighteen months of construction enabled the school to open its doors to the first students in September 1955. The original buildings included the cafeteria, a single wing of the girls’ residence (Ellis Hall), and a double wing of the boys’ residence (Unruh Hall).
Additional land was purchased in 1958, for a total of 725 acres. The present administration building (Edison Hall) was completed in the fall of 1961, the second wing of Ellis Hall in the summer of 1965, the gymnasium (M.W. Schultz Gymnasium) in the summer of 1967, the airfield and dairy complex in 1970, and the tennis courts in 1971.
Construction commenced on the career education building in 1976. The auto body and auto mechanics sections were occupied in 1977, and the graphic arts section in 1979. In 1983 the chapel in Edison Hall was renovated and turned into a sanctuary. Also in 1983, the Adventist Book Center opened its doors. In 1992, the campus industry became operational, and in 1999 an outdoor pavilion was built near the tennis courts. The Blue Mountain Academy Church finished its Sabbath school addition on the North side of the church in May 2006.