The Founding of Blue Mountain Academy
The Ground-breaking Ceremony
E. E. Cossentine of the General Conference giving the address at the ground-breaking ceremony in April, 1954. Blue Mountain Academy opened its doors in September of 1955.
The Cafeteria is Built
The master campus plan included two dormitories, an administration building, a cafeteria, gymnasium, church, and industrial buildings. It was decided to build three units first in order to get the school going as soon as possible.
The First Classrooms
First students at Blue Mountain Academy getting a taste of pioneering as they attend classes held in unfinished, unheated buildings.
First Year Band Practice
Students were able to be involved in music classes, such as band and choir, even though some of the construction was still continuing on the classrooms.
Cooking in the Cafeteria
Students were able to earn part of their expenses through the school year by employment in the kitchen, dairy, farm, maintenance, library, and other departments.
First BMA Graduation
The first BMA students to receive diplomas, Jacqueline Rowand and Robert Albright of the class of 1956, being congratulated by J. Lee Bauslter, former owner of the land on which the school is being built. Looking on are Russell R. Adams, principal, and T. Edgar Unruh, board chairman and local conference president.